So I’m doing some work for a customer where they want a custom Search Box web part. Essentially, they want to be able to search by particular managed properties, which is a pretty common scenario:
Naturally, I added this to my search results page, and removed the existing Search Box web part.
During test, the customer noticed that the ‘Show More’ links on the refinement panel had stopped working:
You can hide the web part via the web part properties > Layout > Hidden.
I had two of my colleagues come to me with the same complaint – that the Basic Search Center site template in SharePoint 2010 doesn’t have any navigation to get ‘back’ to the rest of the site collection:
I pointed out to them that there are good reasons to consider having the Search Center separated from the rest of your content. I’d even suggest a separate Site Collection if using the Enterprise Search Center. (This uses the publishing features, and you might not want them turned on in your existing site collection).
However, my colleagues didn’t need all that, and really did just want a simple search center in the same site collection as their content. For example, a departmental site collection needed its own search center and search experience. But they’d really like users to be able to navigate back to the rest of the site collection.
So, I set forth to fix this dire state of affairs for them. Continue reading
I’d a really, really weird problem with a customer yesterday. We’d set up their SharePoint search. Indexing seemed to be working correctly, and when I logged in as an administrator, I was getting search results correctly. However, logged in as a normal – though very highly privileged – user my search results were missing! This was some thing of a surprise. It felt like security trimming, but the user was a Site Collection admin, and had Full Control throughout the entire main content web application. Also, we were indexing content off the network file share, and we knew he could access both the SharePoint Content.
However, when he ran a search, he didn’t get any search results. That sucked. I tried another user account – and had the same problem.
Eventually, I looked in the logs and found the following message:
AuthzInitializeContextFromSid failed with ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED. This error indicates that the account under which this process is executing may not have read access to the tokenGroupsGlobalAndUniversal attribute on the querying user’s Active Directory object. Query results which require non-Claims Windows authorization will not be returned to this querying user.